Painless Help Documentation
September 26, 2016
incl. Community Edition
GhostDoc is a Visual Studio extension that automatically generates XML documentation comments for methods and properties based on their type, parameters, name, and other contextual information.
When generating documentation for class derived from a base class or for interface implementation (e.g. .NET Framework or your custom framework), GhostDoc will use the documentation that Microsoft or the framework vendor has already written for the base class or interface.
- Save keystrokes and time; simplify documenting your code
- Automatically generate a starting point for your help documentation
- Benefit of the base class documentation
- StyleCop compliant documentation templates
- (Pro) Documentation quality and maintenance
- (Pro) Code Spell Checker
- (Pro) Build Help File
- (Pro) Take control of your help files with Help Configurations and Template Libraries
If you follow good naming conventions in your code, then you will get very decent results on the summary GhostDoc generates. When I see code that is not documented, it is as simple as hit Ctrl-Shift-D to have GhostDoc document it.
New in version 5.0
- Documentation Quality hints in Visual Studio editor
- Documentation Maintenance - find, edit or remove auto-generated comments; identify missing and out of sync comments
- Help documentation theme support and new themes
- Hide/show documentation comments
- Options to mark comments as auto-generated and flag them 'to be edited'
For the details, please see What's New in GhostDoc v5
Help Documentation Samples
In addition to standard features the free version GhostDoc offers, there is a GhostDoc Pro alternative which provides ultimate documentation configuration flexibility and automation of routine documentation operations.
For complete edition comparison see this page.
Support, Feedback, etc
GhostDoc Discussion Forum
A forum for support and discussion related to GhostDoc